Thursday, January 2, 2014

New Resolve

Goodbye 2013, hello 2014!  How is it already so far into this new decade?  I was a mere 21 year old when 2010 hit, now here I am, halfway through my twenties!  What have I accomplished?  I had some cool opportunities last year.  I finally got to work in a professional theatre company, and I got to live in the heart of a major metropolitan city.  But there's so much more to do!



This year, I hope to not only grow in my career, but continue to grow as a person.  This period of waiting has definitely taught me a lot about myself.  I've learned how to put up with a difficult job.  I've learned how to make the most out of your situation.  I've spent a lot of time working on my home, and my marriage.  I've had my faith in God's plan for my life tested.  And through all of that, I pretty much just have to close my eyes, hang on tight, and pray that it's all going to turn out, because sometimes, life is scary.


But I know that 2014 is going to be full of new opportunities, and I have to take advantage of them!
So, here is my list of resolutions for this year:

1. Run a half marathon.

So this is very specific, ambitious and not at all career related.  True.  But it is something I want to do, have the opportunity to do and am training to do.  So there it is.

2. Get cast in a project.

I don't care if it's theatre or film, professional or community, paid or unpaid.  I'm going to do my best to make this happen.

3. Travel somewhere new.

If we can afford it, I'd love to go to Honduras or Costa Rica.  If we can't I'd love to check another state off of my list.  I hear Michigan is nice in late spring.

4. Finish my play.

I've been working on a play for over a year now, and I need to just finish the dang thing.

5. Learn to play 5 new songs on the guitar.

Just 5, but I want to actually learn them. No pauses while changing chords, no peeking at music.

6. Read 5 new books.

Finishing Les Miserables is going to be hard enough.  I love to read, but it's hard to make the time.  I don't want to push it.

7. Get plugged in to a church.

I love the support a good home church provides, and although we have a great home church we've grown comfortable with here in Champaign, we'll have to start all over when we move. 


That's seven.  Seven things that I hope to accomplish in the next 364 days.  I think it's doable.  They say that if you make a resolution, to make it something attainable and measurable.  I think when I'm looking back next New Year's, I will be able to definitively say whether or not I accomplished these things.

They also say accountability helps people reach their goals.  So what are your resolutions?

All I know is, I want to look back on this year, and my life, and feel like I have truly accomplished something.  I want to say that I took advantages of the opportunities I had and made due with the disappointments life brings.  I want to be able to tell my kids about my life experiences and encourage them to have their own, whatever that may be.  I hope that I have the will power and the resolve to stick to these goals, and I hope I can slowly work my way towards being a better person because of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment