Saturday, September 15, 2012

Délicieux, Oui? Oui!!

Bonjour, mon amis!

Anyone like to join me for Saturday brunch?  Today's special: French Toast!  Now, when I went to Paris on a summer study abroad trip, I never saw French toast served anywhere, so I have no clue why it's called "French" toast, but I love it anyway.  We have a local mom and pop cafe in town that serves DELICIOUS breakfast.  They have THE BEST French toast that I have ever tasted!  We can't go too often, because I don't even want to think about the amount of calories in every rich, fluffy, decadent bite.  However, I love our lazy days off when the hubs and I sleep in, stay in our cozy pajamas, and eventually shuffle to the kitchen to make breakfast, or more accurately, brunch.  So, I have developed a French toast recipe of my own.  It's not particularly healthy either, but it's tasty and we don't have to leave the house to get it.  Or put on pants for that matter.
 

The ingredients you will need include: bread, sugar, salt, cinnamon, flour, milk, and of course, eggs.  I actually use wheat bread, Splenda and skim milk, but if you want to be really indulgent, go for the good stuff: sugar, whole milk and white bread.  I also would include vanilla, but I didn't have any.




I eyeball most of the ingredients, but here are approximate measurements:

3 eggs
1/2 cup of milk
1/2 cup flour
2 or 3 tablespoons of sugar or Splenda
1 or 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
1 or 2 teaspoons of vanilla
a pinch of salt

This will cover about 6 pieces of toast, which I consider this 3 servings, since I'm stuffed after 2 pieces!



Whisk all of the ingredients until they are mixed thoroughly.  You can add more flour or more milk depending on how thick you'd like it.  I vote thick batter. :)



Soak both sides of your bread in the batter until is good and absorbed.  I used tongs for this.  Just be careful not to tear the bread, as it gets more delicate once soaked.



Fry those puppies up in lightly greased pan on medium heat. My husband particularly likes it when I ladle some extra batter onto the toast.  It makes it even thicker and more luscious.



Once they are golden brown, I top them with my homemade blackberry compote, syrup or honey, and sprinkle them with cinnamon-sugar.  This goes great with eggs, bacon, a glass of milk or coffee.  Oh là là!


Clearly, we enjoyed it!  I want to have some friends visit so I can prepare this lovely meal for them.
*cough* DANIELLE and ANDREW *cough cough*

This is a quick, easy and delicious breakfast that has the potential to be very impressive.  Give it a try, make it your own and hopefully, you will be pleased with the results!  Bon appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment